Materials and manufacturing processes have always been key to the development of equipment in the aeronautical, automobile and rail industries. The research carried out in this domain has greatly contributed to the progress that has been made in terms of the reliability, resistance, durability and performance of the materials.
The Materials and Structures Pole at ECAM Lyon brings together all the skills that contribute across the board to the different stages of the development of mechanical systems: design, structural analysis and materials science. Teacher-researchers and technician make up the Pole’s multidisciplinary team.
- Structural analysis
- Strength of Materials
- Polymer and Composite Materials
- Heat treatment
- Solid Mechanics
The Materials and Structures Pole research is focused on the study of thermo-mechanical behaviours, functional characteristics and properties of materials, from the digital modelling stage to the process elaboration stage. In the LabECAM, in close collaboration with companies, the research work focuses on:
- Elaboration processes and functional properties of metals (thermo-chemical treatments; cementation, nitriding, carbonitridation)
- Elaboration processes and functional properties of polymers and loaded polymers
- Elaboration processes and functional properties of wood materials
- Mathematical modelling: advanced modelling and multi-scale approach
The Materials and Structures Pole provides companies not only with skills but also with analysis and testing resources. Many areas of expertise are offered, notably in the following fields:
- Failure analysis (Fracture analysis: determining fracture mode, trigger zones, determination of the probable cause of failure; corrosion study)
- Material Characterisation (Metallurgical knowledge, Polymer knowledge)
- Process study
- Sizing assistance
The tailored, vocational training courses, adapted to the needs of the companies, allow technicians and engineers to update their scientific knowledge in material resistance and discreet vibration systems.
Among the companies that trust us
Radiall, Renault SAS, Valéo, BMI, Arvin Méritor, CEA Valduc, Arcelor, SAFE Métal, Guillet, Coorstek, Haulotte Group, Keolis, EFI Automotive, IPM Mondia, EO Guidage, APAVE, VELAN SAS, Renault Trucks …
The Materials and Structures Pole is partner of : LaBoMaP de Arts et Métiers ParisTech, Ecole doctorale MEGA, Ecole doctorale SMI, Plastipolis, techtera.